{Pages}

{   Home  |  About  |  Contact  |  Disclaimer   }

Friday, January 02, 2015

Dust off your sh*tkickers- it's a New Year

NYE 2014!

It’s time for the ultimate New Year post my lovely readers. You may think these types of posts are utter BS, but I will try to spare you as much 'new year, new me' crap we're all bombarded with at this time of year. For a few years now I've stopped really making resolutions a priority, and used the transitional period as a chance to look back on the past year and see what I've learnt and how far I've come since the year before. 

This year I have graduated from University, worked at a fantastic company in Amsterdam over the summer, met some amazing new friends, seen some of my favourite bands live, gone travelling alone then with a bunch of people I’d never met before, got all my hair chopped off, had my work published in print and online, interned at some of my favourite newspapers and found a temp job at a small fashion publication with some lovely lovely people.

I don’t say this to humblebrag, but I feel I've achieved some good things this year, and gone through a lot in the process. As well as the ups, I’ve of course had a few downs (insomnia, dissertation purgatory, heartbreak, yada yada yada...) but I have tried to use these for good too. It’s been a challenging but exciting year, and I have come out the other side feeling pretty damn proud and ready for what's next! I feel I have much more of a sense of direction than I did six months ago, and know more about what I want out of life :) My year ended happily & with a super-duper bang, as I spent NYE partying with two fantastic human beans who I met when travelling: Lara & Amy- See photos above. I wore a Topshop playsuit, H&M shoes, River Island bag and vintage necklace, Kate Spade watch & AA scrunchie!


So anyway, here are some of my favourites things and lessons learned from the year:


My favourite….of 2014:

Film…Gone Girl (I saw it three times at the cinema, 'nuff said)
TV show…The Walking Dead (now I know how to survive a zombie apocalypse and what I want in my future hubz-Daryl, I'm lookin' at you)
Album…Alt J- This is all yours (Eargasm) 
Beauty product…Anastasia Brow Wiz OR Makeup forever HD foundation (annoyingly both not so easy to get your hands on in the UK!)
Band…Arcade Fire (Will my frankly bizarre crush on Win Butler ever subside?)
Fashion buy…My Zara leopard print boots (post here)
Book…Man Repeller: Chasing love, seeking overalls by Leandra Medine (no-brainer)
Experience of the year…Travelling in America (shoutout to the Trek crew!)
Place…Oregon/Chicago (or Amsterdam, but maybe I'm just biased)
Animal…Pug (Keeping my fingers crossed for '15)
Piece of writing...Marina Keegan- The Opposite of Loneliness (tragic but beautiful)


20 (ish) Things I have learnt in 2014:

The importance of travel- if you can do it, do it whilst you’re young, free and unattached (to jobs, people, you name it…)

Blogging is a fun, productive and unpredictable platform to develop your passions.

MIND OVER MATTER: Incredibly freeing realisation people. You have the power to change the way you feel about things if you are just brave enough to learn how.

Finding the right size cap at graduation is essential. Do you want your pea head flopping around in that oversized cap you thought you could fill out for the entire ceremony? No, you don't- take it from me future grads. 

If you can survive camping in grizzly bear-infested American national parks, you can survive absolutely anything.

Independence and solidarity make you a stronger person. Thank the person who said no to helping you out or walked away: it meant you had to stand on your own two feet & become a stronger, sassier human bean on this planet of ours. 

Sometimes you have to be willing to give up sleep to succeed.

A student loan will not stretch to buying you the entire ASOS site, as much as you will insist it can.

One from my good friend Kirstie: 'Don't cry over anyone who wouldn't cry over you'- in other words, he's not worth it. Don't settle & always trust your instincts. 

Work experience is invaluable, especially if you're in the fashion industry.

Having a dirty sense of humour makes life so much funnier. 

It's easy to make new friends; just say Hello! 

Nice boys aren't always nice. 

Working abroad teaches you things about the world and more importantly, about yourself.

There is such a thing as owning ‘too much makeup’. Yes, really.

Going bra-less on a night out can and will only result in an enormous amount of flashing. 

Writing a dissertation feels like the most soul-destroying activity known to man- but the struggle WILL end and if you put in the work you WILL reap the rewards ;)  

The first real, raw heartbreak is actually the most soul-destroying thing that can happen to a person- but this too shall pass, just be patient and dig deep to find your courage.

People at train stations are arseholes (since when was not stopping to help people with heavy bags a thing?!!!)

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Shit happens- it’s how you deal with it that counts. Don’t let it define or destroy you, let it strengthen you. Negative experiences are not always negative. As cheesy as it sounds, every seemingly bad and challenging experience has purpose. 

SO...Don’t give up. You have to be persistent as heck in this world.

Meeting as many people as you can, dressing exactly how you want to dress and doing things people think you are not capable of are some of life’s greatest pleasures.

And lastly, but (I think) most importantly: Be kind. You will always find people along the way that will take advantage of this or be shitty to you…but be kind anyway. 


What have you learnt this year?
ps. HNY!!


17 comments:

  1. That dress is gorgeous and I love your make-up too! lovely post xx

    p.s Happy New Year! xx

    www.krystelcouture.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely post! Sounds like you have achieved lots of positive things this year :) Lovely outfit too!

    500daysoffashion.blogspot.com
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post! I agree with just about all of your favorites too, especially the Anastasia Brow Wiz...just discovered that one last month. :)

    the chic addict

    ReplyDelete
  4. you look gorgeous - i'm in love with your dress! reading through the things you learned this year was actually really calming, so many amazing points.

    xx angela | the sunday chapter

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a lovely evening and great lessons to share.
    Carolyn | Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like your year has been amazing! I love that you've learnt a mix of serious, and not so serious things too, I think I'm going to think back about what 2014 taught me actually :) you look stunning in that dress too!

    India / Touchscreens & Beautyqueens

    ReplyDelete
  7. you look wonderful! hope you have a great 2015

    from helen at thelovecatsinc.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look so nice! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a fun time! I learned to take more time for myself.

    Pay with Polka Dots

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like this- so true that taking 'me' time is essential!

      Delete
  10. loved reading about your year! you certainly accomplished a whole lot! congrats. here's to another great year! xx. gigi. www.gigikkkitchen.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy New Year girl! Love your look, you look very lovely :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great blog. Maybe want folloe each other? If yes, just follow me and i follow you back :)
    xoxo
    http://smellofpeony.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy New Year Becky,
    You've achieved so much in a span of a year, congratulations dear and just keep on pursuing your passion! I love all the lessons you learned at some point I had the same realization especially with the graduation cap and being kind to everyone, and oh, the thought of helping someone with a heavy bag when riding a public transport is rare these days. 😄 stay gorgeous and rocking, keep in touch always.

    Raya
    www.raysofraya.com
    TWITTER | INSTAGRAM: @raysofraya

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy belated New Year. Really enjoyed this post. Sounds like you had an incredible year last year to me. But this has to be my favourite line....."A student loan will not stretch to buying you the entire ASOS site, as much as you will insist it can!"

    Made me laugh A LOT!

    Hope you're having a great start to 2015 :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting on my blog :) I value each and every comment and will get back to you or check out your page. B xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...